LST-850 was laid down on 15 August 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Mildred M. T. Honig; and commissioned on 27 November 1944, Lt. Perry B. Hazard in command.
During World War II, LST-850 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until early October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 17 May 1946 and transferred to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Juniata County (LST-850) (q.v.) after a county in Pennsylvania. Juniata County was recommended for use as a target for destruction on 20 October 1958 and was struck from the Navy list on 1 November that same year.
LST-850 earned one battle star for World War II service.