LST-849 was laid down on 10 November 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 30 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William B. Hetzel; and commissioned on 16 January 1945, Lt. Emil C. Hetzel in command.
During World War II, LST-849 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-849_ performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 13 June 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Johnson County (LST-849) (q.v.) after counties in 12 states. In January 1959, Johnson County was transferred to the Republic of Korea Navy where she served as Wi Pong (LST-812).
LST-849 earned one battle star for World War II service.