LST-848 was laid down on 6 November 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 21 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. D. Porter; and commissioned on 20 January 1945, Lt. R. P. Bentley, USNR, in command.
Following World War II, LST-848 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Jerome County (LST-848) (q.v.) after a county in Idaho.
Recommissioned on 7 December 1959, Jerome County operated with the Pacific Fleet in the early 1960's followed by extensive service in the Vietnam War. Decommissioned again on 1 April 1970, she was turned over, via lease, to the Republic of Vietnam Navy that same month.
LST-848 earned one award of the Presidential Unit Citation, one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and five battle stars for the Vietnam War.