LST-846 was laid down on 27 October 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 12 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. L. P. Quill; and commissioned on 9 January 1945.
Following World War II, LST-846 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late April 1949. After postwar service, LST-846 was decommissioned on 14 October 1949. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, she performed service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Jennings County (LST-846) (q.v.) after a county in Indiana.
Decommissioned again on 7 December 1955, Jennings County was once again commissioned on 11 June 1966 and conducted extensive operations during the Vietnam War. Decommissioned for a final time, she was struck from the Navy list on 25 September 1970.
LST-846 earned one battle star for the Korean War and two awards of the Presidential Unit Citation, four awards of the Navy Unit Commendation, and eight battle stars for the Vietnam War.