LST-844 was laid down on 18 October 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 3 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. D. P. Cook; and commissioned on 30 December 1944, Lt. James F. Trawick in command.
During World War II, LST-844 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 September 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 29 September that same year. On 28 June 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., Houston, Tex., for operation.
LST-844 earned one battle star for World War II service.