Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-841

 

LST-841 was laid down on 4 October 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 20 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Rocco Palmer; and commissioned on 18 December 1944, Lt. Francis T. Carey, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-841 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 5 January 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the California Co., New Orleans, La., for operation.

 

LST-841 earned one battle star for World War II service.