Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-840

 

LST-840 was laid down on 28 September 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 15 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. C. W. Doerr; and commissioned on 11 December 1944, Lt. David McC. Bon, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-840 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 June 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

 

Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, LST-840 performed extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Iron County (LST-840) (q.v.) after counties in Michigan, Missouri, Utah, and Wisconsin. Decommissioned again on 23 November 1957, Iron County was transferred to the Republic of China Navy on 1 July 1958, where she served as Chung Fu (LST-223). Iron County was struck from the Navy list on 6 February 1959.

 

LST-840 earned one battle star for World War II and four for the Korean War.