LST-838 was laid down on 20 September 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 8 November 1944; sponsored by Miss Margaret Foster; and commissioned on 4 December 1944, Lt. Allen T. Larkins, Jr., in command.
During World War II, LST-838 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 7 August 194R and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Hunterdon County (LST-838) (q.v.) after a county in New Jersey.
Recommissioned on 10 September 1966, Hunterdon County saw extensive service during the Vietnam War.
LST-838 earned one battle star for World War II service. Additionally, Hunterdon County earned seven battle stars, two awards of the Presidential Unit Citation, and four awards of the Navy Unit Commendation for the Vietnam War.