LST-837 was laid down on 15 September 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 3 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. H. G. Jetter; and commissioned on 29 November 1944, Lt. G. R. Keller, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-837 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-March 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 6 February 1948, she was sold to Madison B. Wright for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-837 earned one battle star for World War II service.