Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-836

 

LST-836 was laid down on 11 September 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 29 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. H. E. Hetu; and commissioned on 25 November 1944, Lt. Elmo J. Sullivan, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-836 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned on 25 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, LST-836 saw extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Holmes County (LST-836) (q.v.) after counties in Florida, Mississippi, and Ohio.

 

Commencing in 1965, Holmes County also saw service during the Vietnam War. Decommissioned again in early 1971, Holmes County was transferred to the government of Singapore on 1 July 1971 and renamed RS Endurance.

 

LST-836 earned one star for World War II service, three for the Korean War, and 12 battle stars and two awards of the Navy Unit Commendation for the Vietnam War.