LST-833 was laid down on 28 August 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 16 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. N. B. Ornitz; and commissioned on 10 November 1944.
During World War II, LST-833 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early January 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947. On 13 May 1948, she was sold to the Alexander Shipyards, Inc., New Orleans, La., for operation.
LST-833 earned one battle star for World War II service.