LST-827 was laid down on 9 October 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 16 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Clark H. Woodward; and commissioned on 12 December 1944, Lt. R. L. Olander, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-827 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 7 June 1949 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, LST-827 saw extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Hillsborough County (LST-827) (q.v.) after counties in Florida and New Hampshire. Decommissioned again on 22 January 1958, Hillsborough County was struck from the Navy list on 28 March 1958. She was sunk as a target off the California coast on 14 August that same year.
LST-827 earned one battle star for World War II service and three for the Korean War.