LST-824 was laid down on 28 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Harry W. Groot; and commissioned on 30 November 1944, Lt. Jesse D. Jones, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-824 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late September 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 15 May 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. The tank landing ship was redesignated Henry County (LST-824) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia.
Recommissioned on 5 September 1959, Henry County performed extensive service with the Pacific Fleet and, commencing in 1965, participated in operations in the Vietnam theater. Later decommissioned again, Henry County was transferred to the Malaysian Navy where she served as Sri Banggi (A-1501).
LST-824 earned one battle star for World War II service and four for Vietnam service.