LST-823 was laid down on 25 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 4 November 1944; sponsored by Miss Olinda M. Brune; and commissioned on 28 November 1944, Lt. Robert T. Hanson, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-823 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 1 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946. In May 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to the Oklahoma-Philippines Co.
LST-823 earned one battle star for World War II service.