LST-822 was laid down on 20 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Homer Seed; and commissioned on 23 November 1944, Lt. Robert N. Mclntyre, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-822 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. LST-822 was decommissioned on 10 August 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 23 November 1950, she performed extensive service during the Korean War, including participation in the historic prisoner-of-war exchanges.
LST-822 was redesignated Harris County (LST-822) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Georgia and Texas. She was decommissioned for a second time in late 1955 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service. Harris County was transferred to the Philippine Navy on 13 September 1976.
LST-822 earned one battle star for World War II service and four for Korean War service.
LST-822 in the early 1950s. Except for the addition of a high bridge, she is essentially unmodified from her original appearance. The LST-542-class was built with a water-distilling plant and heavier armament than the earlier LST-1 -class; this slightly decreased their payload.