LST-821 was laid down on 19 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Hugh Robertson, Sr.; and commissioned on 14 November 1944, Lt. C. J. Rudine, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-821 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. LST-821 returned to the United States and was decommissioned in March 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Harnett County (LST-821) (q.v.) after a county in North Carolina.
Recommissioned on 20 August 1966, Harnett County (LST-821) saw extensive service in the Vietnam War.
LST-821 earned one battle star for World War II service. Additionally, Harnett County (LST-821) earned nine battle stars, two awards of the Presidential Unit Citation, and three awards of the Navy Unit Commendation for the Vietnam War.