LST-820 was laid down on 14 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Tom K. Smith; and commissioned on 16 November 1944, Lt. W. R. Evans in command.
During World War II, LST-820 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early October 1945. The tank landing ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 7 February that same year.
LST-820 earned one battle star for World War II service.