LST-819 was laid down on 12 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Georgia E. Gilmore; and commissioned on 14 November 1944, Lt. George W. Ryerson, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-819 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 November 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
Recommissioned on 8 September 1950, LST-819 saw extensive service during the Korean War. The ship was decommissioned again on 24 June 1955. On 1 July 1955, LST-819 was redesignated Hampshire County (LST-819) (q.v.) after counties in Massachusetts and West Virginia. Once more commissioned on 9 July 1966, Hampshire County supported the Navy's efforts off South Vietnam until decommissioned for the final time on 19 December 1970. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list in April 1975.
LST-819 received one battle star for World War II service and four for the Korean War. Additionally, Hampshire County (LST-819) was awarded 10 battle stars, the Presidential Unit Citation, and the Navy Unit Commendation for the Vietnam War.