LST-817 was laid down on 4 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 14 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Raymond Yelling; and commissioned on 7 November 1944, Lt. R. K. Mclnnes, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-817 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. The tank landing ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 31 January 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 7 February that same year. On 25 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Basalt Rock Co., Inc., Napa, Calif., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-817 earned one battle star for World War II service.