LST-816 was laid down on 2 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 11 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Walter Smith; and commissioned on 2 November 1944, Lt. Charles Danziger, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-816 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in March and April 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. LST-816 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 27 May 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-816 earned two battle stars for World War II service.