Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-815

 

LST-815 was laid down on 28 August 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 October 1944; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Sweet; and commissioned on 30 October 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-815 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, LST-815 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 September 1946. On 25 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Basalt Rock Co., Inc., for scrapping.

 

LST-815 earned one battle star for World War II service.