Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-812

 

LST-812 was laid down on 14 August 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John J. Allan; and commissioned on 19 October 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-812 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assaultand occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, LST-812 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 9 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. On 25 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.

 

LST-812 earned two battle stars for World War II service.