LST-802 was laid down on 2 September 1944 at Jef-fersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat and Machine Co.; launched on 19 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Dolores Alberts; and commissioned on 13 November 1944, Lt. K. G. Adams, USNR, in command.During World War II, LST-802 was assigned to theAsiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-802 performed occupa tion duty in the Far East until mid-April 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 21 July 1946 and transferred to the Shipping Control Authority, Japan, until returned to the Navy and recommissioned on 30 August 1950. She took part in the invasions of Inchon and Wonsan and the evacuation of Hungnam during the Korean War. Following conversion to a mine squadron flagship in 1954, she served with units of Mine Force, Pacific.
On 1 July 1955, LST-802 was redesignated Hamilton County (LST-802) (q.v.) after counties in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Tennessee and Texas. Loaned to Japan on 20 April 1960 under terms of the Military Assistance Program, Hamilton County was decommissioned on 30 June 1960 and struck from the Navy list on 1 July that same year.
LST-802 earned one battle star for World War II service and seven for the Korean War.