LST-801 was laid down on 6 September 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat and Machine Co.; launched on 14 October 1944; sponsored by Miss Jane E. Calhoun; and commissioned on 8 November 1944, Lt. Herbert G. Whitehead, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-801 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March through June 1945. Following the war, LST-801 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946.She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 18 August that same year. On 29 December 1947, the ship was sold to Pablo N. Ferrari & Co. for operation.
LST-801 earned one battle star for World War II service.