Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-800

 

LST-800 was laid down on 29 August 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 10 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Roger C. Heimer; and commissioned on 2 November 1944, Lt. H. G. Chandler, Jr., in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-800 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 22 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex., for operation.