LST-796 was laid down on 6 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 16 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. A. Woodling; and commissioned on 20 October 1944.
During World War II, LST-796 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-December 1945. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 17 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. On 22 September 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.
LST-796 earned one battle star for World War II service.