Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-795

 

LST-795 was laid down on 30 July 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 9 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Heimo R. lammi; and commissioned on 9 October 1944, Lt. Melvin H. Jackson, USCGR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-795 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, LST-795 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 31 October 1946, the ship was sold to the Suwannee Fruit & S.S. Co., Jacksonville, Fla.

 

LST-795 earned two battle stars for World War II service.