LST-794 was laid down on 12 July 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 16 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. B. H. Gommel; and commissioned on 16 October 1944, Lt. W. C. Cain, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-794 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, LST-794 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned on 9 July 1946 and assigned to the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Gibson County (LST-794) (q.v.) after counties in Indiana and Tennessee. She was sunk as a target for destruction by Rasher (SS-269) off the west coast of the United States on 22 May 1958. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.
LST-794 earned one battle star for World War II service.