LST-790 was laid down on 11 June 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 19 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John Halifax; and commissioned on 22 September 1944.
During World War II, LST-790 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, LST-790 was redesignated LST(H)-790 on 15 September 1945 and performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 27 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 5 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-790 earned two battle stars for World War II service.