LST-788 was laid down on 9 July 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 19 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Gerard H. Nickerson; and commissioned on 18 September 1944, Lt. Walter R. Benson, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-788 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April that same year. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June that same year. On 26 September 1947, LST-788 was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.
LST-788 earned two battle stars for World War II service.
LST-788, -760, -72k, and LSM-264 land supplies through the debris of an assault beach on Iwo Jima, February 1945. The ships keep their propellers turning over to hold themselves in position. In the water are a DUKW and an LCPR; in the surf and on the beach are LVT's, DUKW's, trucks, bulldozers, and a crawler crane. Trucks at the right are towing 105mm howitzers inland from LST-724. A successful amphibious operation is the combined work of many men, using many types of ships, weapons, and vehicles.