LST-787 was laid down on 2 July 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 12 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. James Viziana; and commissioned on 13 September 1944, Lt. W. S. Lawrence in command.
During World War II, LST-787 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of Iwo Jima—February 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945
Following the war, LST-787 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 27 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 7 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-787 earned two battle stars for World War II service.