LST-786 was laid down on 21 May 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 22 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. B. Keckler; and commissioned on 28 August 1944, Lt. Eli T. Ringler, USCG, in command.
During World War II, LST-786 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-December 1945. LST-786 was decommissioned on 9 July 1946 and assigned to the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Garrett County (LST-786) (q.v.) after a county in Maryland. Recommissioned on 15 October 1966, Garrett County saw extensive service in the Vietnam War. She was transferred to the Republic of Vietnam Navy on 23 April 1971.
LST-786 earned one battle star for World War II service and the Presidential Unit Citation, the Navy Unit Commendation, and seven battle stars for the Vietnam War.