LST-785 was laid down on 25 June 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 5 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. D. A. McFarlane; and commissioned on 4 September 1944, Lt. Myron E. Nichol, USCG, in command.
During World War II, LST-785 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945.
Following the war, LST-785 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 3 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June that same year. On 3 June 1948, the ship was sold to Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping.
LST-785 earned two battle stars for World War II service.