LST-783 was laid down on 14 May 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 11 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John F. Hoffmeister; and commissioned on 14 August 1944, Lt. J. F. McAllister, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-783 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in March 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-March 1946. LST-783 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 16 June 1950. On 27 June 1950, the ship was sold to the Northern Metal Co., of Philadelpha, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-783 earned one battle star for World War II service.