LST-781 was laid down on 4 June 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 15 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Stuart D. Brown; and commissioned on 18 August 1944.
During World War II, LST-781 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 20 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., Houston, Tex., for operation.
LST-781 earned one battle star for World War II service.