LST-779 was laid down on 21 May 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp; launched on 1
1944; sponsored by Mrs. Andrew Vavrek; and commissioned on 3 August 1944, Lt. (jg.) Joseph A. Hopkins, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-779 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima—February 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, LST-779 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She was decommissioned on 18 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 5 December 1947, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines.
LST-779 earned two battle stars for World War II service.