LST-778 was laid down on 14 May 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 24 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. D. M. Booth; and commissioned on 31 July 1944, Lt. Glendal T. Harper, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-778 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lingayen Gulf landings—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Following the war, LST-778 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 27 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 23 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Boston Metals Corp., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.
LST-778 earned two battle stars for World War II