LST-770 was laid down on 1 August 1944 at Am-bridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 17 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. B. A. McCormick; and commissioned on 13 October 1944, Lt. John H. Judge, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-770 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in March through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 29 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 6 February 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Madison B. Wright for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-770 earned one battle star for World War II service.