LST-769 was laid down on 28 July 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 12 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Emma Farrah; and commissioned on 9 October 1944, Lt. Edwin B. Bertini in command.
During World War II, LST-769 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 11 December 1947, the ship was sold to the California Co. for operation.
LST-769 earned one battle star for World War II service.