Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-768

 

LST-768 was laid down on 22 July 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 8 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. W. W. Slocum; and commissioned on 4 October 1944, Lt. B. R. Andrews, Jr., in command.

 

During World War II, LST-768 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Assault and occupation of Iwo JimaŚMarch 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa GuntoŚMay and June 1945

Fukuoka (Kyushu-Korea Area)ŚNovember and December 1945

 

Following the war, LST-768 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June that same year. On 18 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex.

 

LST-768 earned three battle stars for World War II service.