LST-762 was laid down on 24 June 1944 at Amridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 11 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret M. Ewing; and commissioned on 5 September 1944, Lt. Franklin J. Ewers, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-762 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945. The ship was decommissioned in 1946 and reactivated on 3 November 1950 for service in the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Floyd County (LST-762) after counties in Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Texas, and Virginia. Following the Korean War, she operated with the Pacific Fleet Amphibious Force, including extensive service off Vietnam from 1965 through 1968. Floyd County (LST-672) was again decommissioned on 3 September 1969 and struck from the Navy list.
LST-762 earned one battle star for World War II service, one for the Korean War, and three battle stars and an award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation for service in the Vietnam War.