LST-760 was laid down on 15 June 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 3 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Walton L. Carlson; and commissioned on 28 August 1944, Lt. R. T. A. McKenzie in command.
During World War II, LST-760 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 29 May 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-760 earned two battle stars for World War II service.
LST-788, -760, -72k, and LSM-264 land supplies through the debris of an assault beach on Iwo Jima, February 1945. The ships keep their propellers turning over to hold themselves in position. In the water are a DUKW and an LCPR; in the surf and on the beach are LVT's, DUKW's, trucks, bulldozers, and a crawler crane. Trucks at the right are towing 105mm howitzers inland from LST-724. A successful amphibious operation is the combined work of many men, using many types of ships, weapons, and vehicles.