LST-744 was laid down on 1 March 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Neville Island; launched on 29 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. O. Stickel; and commissioned on 29 May 1944, Lt. Frank P. Bannen, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-744 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Following the war, LST-744 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 4 March 1948, the ship was sold to the Port Houston Iron Works, Inc., of Houston, Tex., for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-744 earned four battle stars for World War II service.