LST-740 was laid down on 12 February 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Neville Island; launched on 8 April 1944; sponsored by Miss A. Jean Blocker; and commissioned on 15 May 1944.
During World War II, LST-740 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945
Following the war, LST-740 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 8 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 April that same year. On 14 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Oil Transport Co., of New Orleans, La., for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-740 earned five battle stars for World War II service.