LST-739 was laid down on 27 February 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Neville Island; launched on 8 April 1944; sponsored by Miss Jean Galbraith; and commissioned on 15 May 1944, Lt. Milton U. Sarezky, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-739 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—October 1944
Ormoc Bay landings—December 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April and May 1945
Following the war, LST-739 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 1 March 1948, the ship was sold to the Tex-0-Kan Flour Mills Co., of Dallas, Tex., for operation.
LST-739 earned two battle stars for World War II service.