LST-736 was laid down on 2 February 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Neville Island; launched on 18 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. G. 0. Griffin; and commissioned on 2 May 1944.
During World War II, LST-736 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Zambales-Subic Bay—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945
Following the war, LST-736 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 20 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 29 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-736 earned four battle stars for World War II service.