LST-731 was laid down on 27 December 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Neville Island; launched on 12 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. A. J. Ackerman; and commissioned on 30 March 1944, Ens. K. S. McCann, Jr., in command.
During World War II, LST-731 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of Guam—July and August 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima—February and March 1945
Following the war, LST-731 was redesignated LSTH-731 on 15 September 1945 and performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She was decommissioned on 2 June 1950 and redesignated LST-731 on 6 March 1952. The ship received the name Douglas County (LST-731) after counties in 12 states of the United States on 1 July 1955 and was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.
LST-731 earned two battle stars for World War II service.