LST-729 was laid down on 12 August 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 18 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Mary G. Rowell; and commissioned on 16 October 1944, Lt. (jg.) S. F. McCarthy in command.
Following World War II, LST-729 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 8 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 27 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Moore Dry Dock Co., of Oakland, Calif., and subsequently scrapped.