LST-728 was laid down on 3 August 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 14 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Helen E. Garrison; and commissioned on 10 October 1944.
During World War II, LST-728_ was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early March 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 18 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 6 October 1947, LST-728 was transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal.
LST-728 earned one battle star for World War II service.