LST-724 was laid down on 20 July 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 29 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Frances M. Lively; and commissioned on 22 September 1944.
During World War II, LST-724 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. LST-724 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 23 September 1947, the ship was sold to William E. Skinner, New York, N.Y.
LST-724 earned one battle star for World War II service.
LST-788, -760, -72k, and LSM-264 land supplies through the debris of an assault beach on Iwo Jima, February 1945. The ships keep their propellers turning over to hold themselves in position. In the water are a DUKW and an LCPR; in the surf and on the beach are LVT's, DUKW's, trucks, bulldozers, and a crawler crane. Trucks at the right are towing 105mm howitzers inland from LST-724. A successful amphibious operation is the combined work of many men, using many types of ships, weapons, and vehicles.